The Swiss National holiday takes place on August 1st every year : firecrackers, fireworks, and big fires are almost everywhere lit to celebrate the anniversary of our beautiful country.
The explosions of fireworks and firecrackers are terrifying for animals : their hearing, much more sensitive than ours, is assaulted by the noise. Animals are panicked and try to run away, with big risks of injuring themselves on obstacles or of being killed in a traffic accident.
How to keep your cat (and the other animals) safe during fireworks ?
- Choose fireworks without explosion.
- Use fireworks only the day of the event.
- Light fireworks in a zone clear and distant from houses and from farms to avoid any danger of fire.
- Light fireworks far from cowsheds and stables, and far from the pastures where are animals to avoid frightening them.
- For the municipalities : build your big fires the day of the demonstration only, or protect them with a small roadblock 40 cms high which will be removed 1-2 hours before lighting the fire. These simple measures avoid a horrible death for numerous small animals as the hedgehogs, the mice, or the snakes for whom this wooden heap represents a perfect shelter.
- Keep your cats and your dogs home, windows closed and curtains pulled. Behave as usual.
- If your cat hides under the bed or at the top of a cupboard, leave him alone : it is there that he feels safe. Do not try to bring him out of his hiding place.