We love multipets households : it’s always interesting to see how different critters interact with each other, and how to take care of them. The Poupounette, Kitty Cat Chronicles, Pawsitively Pets, or Indulged Furries are some examples of that kind of household.
A few weeks ago, we began to get nice comments from « Johnny ». We discovered that he had a nice blog, Pets Overload, but when we visited first, we thought he was blogging about fishes. The second time we visited, we thought he was blogging about snacks.
– Snacks ?
– Yes : hamsters, and stuff…
The next time, we saw that Johnny was blogging about cats too ! We became curious, and we decided to ask him a few questions :
– How did you manage to have so many differents pets ?
– Currently, we’re housing one cat (Beau), a hamster (Twitch) and two fish (Flub & Blub), although I also co-parent another kitty named Walker (who lives with my mom because he doesn’t get along with any other animals!)
– How did you introduce them to each other ?
– When Beau and Walker first lived together we introduced them very slowly over a two week period. Allowing them to meet under the door long before they saw each other fully. When the two-week mark passed we began feeding them treats together and pet them in the same room so they could understand the fact that they are not to be enemies! Although they got along at points, Walker is a very dominant cat who used to start fights with Beau all the time. When my partner and I moved in together we had to make the sad decision to leave Walker with my mother as our place is much too small for two cats who quarrel. (As it would be too difficult to separate them whenever problems arose). I still see Walker at least once a week and offer my mother all of the advice I can give !
As for Flub & Blub, the introduction was very quick and easy. Beau loved watching fish videos and never showed signs of being aggressive towards them, so we knew it would be super easy to introduce him to them. He spent plenty nights sleeping right next to them and still visits them in his spare time.
As for Twitch it was a bit harder… Beau used to hunt mice & other small mammals. So as soon as he saw Twitch he thought she was food! It took about a week to get him to understand that she was part of the family. We would bring Twitch out of her cage and let him sniff her (while she was still in our hand.) We would pet her in front of him and anytime he would get close or try to bite we would scold him. Now he watches her from the top of my office chair, happily wagging his tail but not getting too close !
– Is Twitch soon ready to eat for Walker or Beau ?
– Oh, no no no! We would never let that happen! We actually keep her very far away from them when we aren’t around! We love Twitch too much to let anything happen to her !
– Is fishing allowed for kitties ?
– Oddly enough, Beau hasn’t tried to go fishing yet! He has tapped on the fish tanks before, but never aggressively. It actually makes me wonder if he understands that fish can be food…
– Do Walker and Beau get into mischief together ?
– They get into A LOOOOT of mischief together. Sometimes we have play dates with the two of them, although one of our most recent play dates ended up in a big, big fight with lots of blood. Since then we’ve been even more careful with them… 🙁 <3
– How long have you been blogging about your pet family ?
I’ve been blogging since December, so not too long !
– What is the purpose of your blog ?
– Honestly, it’s partly to archive the memories of our pet family and also to learn from & aid other pet owners. It’s sometimes hard to know what’s best for your little ones, especially when you have little ones who run into health problems. I know I’ve learned a lot from other amazing bloggers so why not pass on what I’ve learned while also taking adorable photos of the little ones !
International Friendship Day is on July, 30th, and we thought that introducing our new friends was a nice way to celebrate, even if we’re a little bit early.
We think moreover that our friendship with you, dear friends and readers, should be celebrated every day !