Easy : give him something else to scratch !
All right, we are going to explain to you : we, cats, naturally need to scratch our claws. This activity allows us to sharpen them, to deposit our smell on objects, to mark our territory, and to stretch. We thus need several places in various rooms to be able to make him if you like your furniture.
- The surface to be scratched can be vertical or horizontal ; the ideal would be to have both at arrangement.
- The surface or the scratching post must be stable.
- The vertical scratching post has to be minimum 70 cms high so that we can stretch completely.
- Scratching posts can be made by diverse materials : carpet, sisal, cardboard, soft wood, …
- A scratching post can be a simple log, a piece of carpet (on the wall or on the ground), an immense cat tree, …
- You can ask your veterinarian to show you how to make us regularly a pawticure: we’ll less need to scratch if our claws are not too long.
We don’t like be scolded, but we adore treats : it may happen to us to confuse the new leather sofa with the scratching post. Instead of yelling, say firmly “NO”, and manage us towards the deliberate place ; show us that it’s there that we can scratch, and encourage us in giving us a treat. We’re more a quick learner with a small reward !