It’s gonna be hot there ! MeteoSwiss announces a heat wave for the whole of next week : temperatures will exceed 30 degrees during the day and 20 degrees at night.
Although we can handle heat better than dogs, we also suffer when it’s too hot. We cannot lower our body temperature by sweating like a human, because we only sweat from paw pads, which is not enough. In the worst case scenario, we can even have a dangerous heat stroke.
The tips that apply to humans are the same for cats : stay cool and hydrated.
How to protect your cat from the heat ?
Here are a few simple things to do :
- If possible, encourage your cat to chill inside the house.
- Close windows and shutters to prevent heat from entering the house too much.
- Turn on air conditioning if you have one (not too cold!).
- Pet your cat with a damp washcloth.
- Encourage your cat to drink and play with water : put an ice cube in his water bowl, place toys in a water basin, place water bowls in different places where your cat likes to rest, if possible in the shade.
- Offer your cat a cooling mat : you can find some in pet stores, or put gel pockets you place in the freezer under his favourite blanket (folded in two or four).
You will find other useful information in our other articles :